Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Breastfeeding Registry Stuff

I've felt pretty good about registering for stuff until today. I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to what to register for with wanting to breastfeed. I get a pump through the hospital benefits, but I don't know what kind. Other than that I don't know what to get. Yikes! Also, I don't want to get formula feeding supplies because it seems like having them around would make it that much easier to give up. Hmmm...I guess I'll need to do some research.

There isn't much going on around here. I can't wait until it cools off in a couple of days. I don't even remember the last time we had our air conditioning off.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey-

I wouldn't bother with the breastfeeding stuff until you get home from the hospital. You'll get most of what you need there and can wait for the rest. You will need a nursing bra, nursing pads, a nightgown with nursing slits and possibly a nursing pillow to put HER on while nursing.

You will probably get a little bit of formula at the hospital too- for emergencies. There are times when you can't nurse (drug interactions or whatever) and will need to have formula or previously pumped milk. I'd use Avent bottles & nipples for that kind of stuff. (closer to the real thing)

Nursing is WAY easier than bottles in the middle of the night. Take it from someone who nursed the 1st one for 13 months and didn't nurse the 2nd one at all. You'll do GREAT either way though and will be an AWESOME mommy :)

Your big sister with too much advice at times (but at least I realize it),
Claudia

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with the Avent bottles. We use them and are very happy.
I would suggest having the 3 bottle/nipple set to start off with. That should be plenty to begin with. The boppy will be nice, along with nursing pads. I really liked wearing maternity tanks with the shelf bra, b/c it was hot. I guess you will probably want the bra since it will be winter. And, you will have to wear them all day and night for a while. Probably just buy one or two, b/c your size can change after you start nursing.
I have used the Medela original pump and have liked it. I would get the nicest one they have, especially if insurance is paying for it. Medela and Avent is what the lactation people around here recommend.

Anonymous said...

Hi there! Another PG.org momma here. I agree with the avent bottles, they were very nice. I have a medala hand pump, but don't know that much about electric ones. Also wanted to let you know there is an "everything breastfeeding" BBoard that has reviews of a lot of pumps and other nursing supplies.

It really helped us to take the Breastfeeding class the hospital offered. At the class, pumps, nursing bras, pillows and other nursing supplies were for sale (same price as BRU or Target). Might not hurt to sign up if your hospital offers some classes. I would also only buy a few nursing bras as your size will change a lot when your milk comes in. I bought 2 - 1 to wash, 1 to wear.

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

I meant to say there is a "everything breastfeeding" Bboard at PG.org with lots of product reviews. Also, lots of pregnant moms stop by and ask questions frequently. If you have a specific question, ask away!

Anonymous said...

Hi~
Another preg.org member! I also suggest milk storage bags for when you want to pump and store. I always would try to pump as much as possible and freeze it so if later on you can't nurse you have some stored milk. Also lanolin is great the first few days when you are sore! And Boppy is a MUST for bfing!! Good luck!!